Monday, August 22, 2011

Aug 8th - Needle Biopsy

Dropped off the children at a good friends so that we could check in at the hospital 7am.  Surgery planned for 9:30, delayed an hour and got in at 10:30. The resident came in to test my neurological responses prior to surgery. After asking me to follow his finger with my eyes, etc. then he said pull his hands and I heard my horse trainer's voice telling me to pull back with both hands. When he says that he means to pull hard.  I pulled the resident on top of me on the bed. His face was a picture. I still giggle now when I think about that. The anesthesiologist couldnt help pulling a face when I mentioned laryngospams.  Quick visit from neurosurgeon and then off we went.

And then I woke up with the nurse talking nicely to me and wiping the blood of my face before she got my husband and good friend in.  The blood was not from the actual biopsy incision, but from "where they bolted my head to the frame". I felt fine except my throat hurt like hell. The nurse asked me if I wanted to go home and I said YES!! The incision from the biopsy hardly deserves the title incision. It is so small with one tiny little stitch and no hair cut or shaved. I literally have to look hard to find it. Great surgeon. I asked for water and drank it too quickly so then felt sick.  Got the zofran and started to feel better.

While Karl went to get the car (he misses all the good bits) the neurosurgeon came in and said that all went well.  Initial pathology showed low grade glioma.  Not operable as it had already spread and was in a too sensitive spot. Chemo was the next step.I asked him prognosis (not sure why I did that as I was half out of it from the anesthetic). 

He said "Good. Not excellent." I asked him "Why not excellent?"  He said "Because you have a brain tumor".

No comments:

Post a Comment