Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chemo Appointment

First of all I need to say how awesome the neuro-oncologist that we saw this morning is.  She spent around one and a half hours with us, listening to what We knew about what I have and my choices for treatment, which was on entering, chemo alone.

She then gave me a potted history of outcomes since the 80's with this kind of brain tumor. ( Grade II Astrocytoma) She explained to me that up until a few years ago she was completely anti any kind of radiation therapy for this. She told us that she became expert at hiding her patients from the neuro-radiation oncologist. She then said that in her experience more recently and that of doctors around the country and world looking at this type of tumor, that chemo alone does not make for a good outcome.

She confirmed what I already knew, that as this is an infiltrating diffuse tumor in a very sensitive place,surgery is not an option.

She explained that Temodar works best on certain types of tumor (not mine) and for a large percentage of abnormal, fast dividing cells (again not mine).

She told me that where my tumor is, any growth is going to be very damaging, even if it does not develop into a more malignant tumor.  She had the functional MRI images up and showed me where the damage is.

She promised me that I would walk out with a prescription for Temodar, but that I should seriously listen to the radiation-oncologist on Friday as that treatment was more likely to stop the tumor growing and even shrink it. Apparently studies have shown that a lower dose of radiation was found to be just as effective in terms of outcome than higher doses. She told me that whole brain radiation would not be necessary, and that it was not a one shot deal.  In fact they have a patient in this week who had radiation 8 years ago and was coming in for more as his tumor had started to grow again.

If the baseline blood work looks good I will start chemo tomorrow night on a 5 days on, 23 off days regime (Dosage based on body weight 250mg) . Then another blood test and followup appointment with her and hopefully start the next round.  I will have MRIs every 2 months.

So I have my Temodar, but with a new interest in radiation and will be going to the appointment Friday with an open mind.

My neurologist is also great and at my request, over the telephone, increased the dosage of the anti-seizure medication again. He actually called it in to the pharmacy before I even got home. I can still go up further if necessary.

After all of that I went straight to the barn and had a great ride:)

3 comments:

  1. That all sounds a lot more positive vis a vis treatment options - what a great outcome. Im so glad you have your riding to help take your mind off all of this. Thinking of you as always. Love you big sis xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that the doctors took time with you Katy. And that you, after all of your appts, went to go ride. That made me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy, we will be here for you mind and soul! THe father of a good friend went into chemo last year with a new technology (a milder method of application with which he carried the medicine around with was doses during the day) and is FULLY recovered...
    Also, delegate!!!
    Fernando

    ReplyDelete