Thursday, September 1, 2011

Appointments: Chemo vs Radiation vs Combo

I finally have appointments scheduled with the doctors who will be working with me to design a treatment plan.
Neuro-oncologist on the 6th and radiation-oncologist on the 9th.

My surgeon was quick to point out that there is no real scientific data (studies) to support doing either or (or even an initial combination of the two) for cases like mine.  However, he did say that the radiation is more likely to cause more damage  for example memory loss, early dementia etc.  For this reason,and that fact that I am high functioning with no real symptoms, he recommended that I try the chemo route first and keep the radiation "in my back pocket" as you can only do that once.

There is a third person going to be at one of these appointments. She is the coordinator for clinical trials. She will be talking with me about the possibility of participating in a trial that would randomly assign me to either radiation therapy OR chemotherapy. 

My gut tells me the same from all that I have read and heard from other people in a similar situation (well one actually, thank you Ed),and two surgeons recommendations, that I want to start the chemo only first.  This is coupled with the fact that I do not have the extra time required to participate in these types of trials, nor the desire to limit my complementary therapies. It is very unfortunate that they cannot just gather the data from all the treatment outcome information that must be out there and make a statistical analysis of treatment outcomes. Those scientists and their need for scientific data:)

I will choose not to participate and make the initial treatment choice myself. Of course if future scans show new growth etc then I will zap the thing with everything laser beam that they have.

I am not sure whether the appointment with the radiation doctor is for a hard sell for brain zapping treatment (they told me it would last 2 hours), or just a "get to know you for the future" kind of appointment.

I am really eager to get started on this new phase of my journey.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Katy. Praying for your complete healing in the name of Jesus! He is your healer, your peace and your strength! God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stick to your gut instinct with it and dont be talked into anything you dont want to do. I so wish i could be there with you xx

    ReplyDelete